American choreographer and television personality, Mia Michaels is best known for her role as a judge and contributing contemporary choreography for Fox TV’s reality show So You Think You Can Dance (2005). She has won several awards and honors for her outstanding choreography, including three Emmy awards in 2007, 2010, and 2011.
Besides being a choreographer, Mia is also an author. Her first book titled “A Unicorn in a World of Donkeys” was published in 2018.
Bio: Age, Birthday & Height
Mia Michaels was born on 23rd February 1966 in Coconut Groove, Florida, as Mia Melchiona Michaels. She stands at a height of 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 meters). Her birth sign is Pieces.
Mia Michaels is a son of Ruth Melchiona and Joe Michaels. Her father, Joe, was a dance teacher and owned the ‘Joe Michaels Dance School.’ Mia has a sister named Dana in her family.
As she came from the family of dancers, she started learning dance from the age of 3. Her father guided her and taught her contemporary dance, tap dance, jazz dance, and ballet dance at the Miami Dance Center. By the age of 11, Mia became an excellent dancer and started to choreograph alongside her father.
The talented dancer and choreographer, Mia Michaels, has not revealed anything regarding her present personal life—that is why her current married/relationship status is not known.
Mia Michaels shares her single picture in February 2019 (Photo: Mia Michaels' Instagram)
However, back in 2010, confusion was created amongst people that Mia and choreographer Blake McGrath got married when Blake mistakenly mentioned Mia in a tweet writing, “Cannot believe I am married.” However, the news later turned out to be wrong—Mia tweeted back, confirming that she was not married.
Interesting Facts About Mia Michaels
- Mia Michaels directed and choreographed a short film about ‘Anti-gun Violence’ in 2018.
- In 2017, she launched her world-wide motivational movement-event ‘Mia Michaels Live – MML.’
- She has been serving as the ambassador of several dance schools like ‘The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York,’ ‘Broadway Dance Center, New York City,’ ‘Harid Conservatory in Florida,’ and ‘New World School of Arts.’
- She is the founder, choreographer, and artistic director of the New York-based dance company Reality At Work (RAW)—the company was established in 1997.
- She was the choreographer for 2015’s ‘68th Tony Awards,’ which featured Academy Award winner Jennifer Hudson.
- In January 2020, she shifted to her new house.
- She has also acted in movies—her theatrical film debut was in a dance musical drama Step Up Revolution as Olivia in 2012.
- She has worked as a dance teacher at the International Dance Festival of Italy, and Harid Conservatory in Boca Raton, Florida, United States.
- She was recognized as the “Featured Curve Model” for Chromat at the 2017-2018 New York Fashion Week.